The benefits of eating a range of colorful foods are many: it boosts immunity, improves heart health, and prevents cancer, to name a few. Have you wondered why each range of color is important?
- Red: loaded with phytochemicals (lycopene and anthocyanins) that may help protect against certain diseases, including cancer and diabetes
- Orange: contain antioxidants, zeaxanthin, flavonoids, lycopene, potassium, vitamin C, and beta-carotene, which help your eyes, skin, heart, and bones
- Yellow: ease digestion, and reduce inflammation and swelling
- Green: packed full of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants that boost the immune system, fill you up without extra calories, increase energy, and reduce your risk of cancer
- Purple/Blue: loaded with antioxidants that are amazing for your brain and heart health
- White: known for their ability to reduce inflammation, lower cholesterol, and protect against certain cancers
It is very easy to fall into routines. We gravitate toward the food we grew up with, what we like, what is readily available, and easy to make. But our bodies benefit from a varied diet so we need a rainbow diet of nutrients and colors. Not so ironically, the ‘beige’ category of foods (starches, fats, and sweets) are the least expensive foods in the grocery store, so it’s easy to see why we lean toward these types of foods. Eating healthy can be costly, both at the grocery store and in restaurants. But your body needs the nutrition that only a varied, colorful diet can offer.
As cliché as it sounds, an ounce of prevention really does translate into a pound of cure when it comes to your diet. Eating the right kinds of food fuels your body, not only for today’s activities, but helps keep your body running stronger, longer.
Please contact us if you would like assistance developing a dietary plan for yourself or your loved ones. We have years of experience helping seniors live longer, more enriching lives.
Contact Elder Care
ElderCare 4 Families is happy to help provide elder care to seniors you know wherever they call home. Complimentary assessments are offered with no obligation by Elder Care, Personalized care is offered from 1 hour up to 24//7. With over 39 years of elderly care experience in the Louisville and Southern Indiana area, trust Elder Care to care for the seniors in your life. Call us at 502-244-8446 to start receiving elder care services in Louisville.