Considering that 10,000 baby boomers retire every day, we are nose diving into a caregiver crisis.While the quality of care and the cost of healthcare are hugely political and highly debatable, let’s focus on the actual issue and what can be done to ease the burden for retiring Americans.
The main issue is two-fold:
- On one hand: the baby boomers themselves require more care, which in turn is more expensive. Being more expensive makes it less likely that they can afford a paid caregiver for even simple personal and household help
- On the other hand: the families of these baby boomers wind up being unpaid and unsupported caregivers. This causes them to sacrifice their own health and wellbeing, which results in them requiring a certain level of care themselves
The obvious solution is to hire full-time professional help. The caregiver demand is real. At least it’s obvious in a perfect world where money is never an issue. But how can you afford it in the real world? Perhaps it’s time to think outside the box and introduce new ways of thinking, such as the term ‘aging in place.’ This term means finding ways to help seniors stay in their own homes, which has shown to increase their livelihood and longevity. But it does not have to mean hiring a full-time caregiver to be with them all day, every day.
Technology plays a large part of the ‘aging in place’ trend. Some examples of existing solutions include:
- Amazon Echo: can set medication reminders
- Apple smartwatch: includes fall detection technology
- Nest: thermostat motion sensors
- SimpliSafe, Arlo, etc.: enables remote site monitoring
- Telemedicine: provides remote professional healthcare services
- Postmates, Instacart, Shipt, Meals on Wheels, etc.: provide food and healthcare item delivery
- Lyft, Uber: provide transportation services to doctor appointments
This is just a sampling of the easiest solutions available today. Technology improves daily, and new inventions are always on the horizon. Check them out to see what works best for your loved ones.
ElderCare 4 Families has part time caregivers fluent with modern technology and services. We design the best care for our individual clients and support as little or as much that individualized plan reads. Let us help you through this scary process. You are not alone!
Feel free to contact us if you would like assistance in developing an in-home care plan for your loved ones. We have years of experience in this field. Put our expertise to work for you.
Contact Elder Care
ElderCare 4 Families is happy to help provide elder care to seniors you know wherever they call home. Complimentary assessments are offered with no obligation by Elder Care, Personalized care is offered from 1 hour up to 24//7. With over 39 years of elderly care experience in the Louisville and Southern Indiana area, trust Elder Care to care for the seniors in your life. Call us at 502-244-8446 to start receiving elder care services in Louisville.