As your elderly loved ones age, you may be tasked with making difficult decisions, like whether it is time for them to require home care assistance. And if so, exactly what level of home care assistance fits their current needs. Bearing in mind that their needs will change over time, here is a some basic information to know as a starting point for having that conversation.
Activities of daily living (also known as ADLs) are used by healthcare companies to determine the level of care a senior requires and their eligibility for services and financial assistance. Activities of daily living tasks fall into six categories of basic skills needed to properly care for oneself without direction, supervision, or home care assistance.
Activities of Daily Living Categories:
- Eating : Can your elderly loved one eat independently? Do they have issues with choking or swallowing?
- Bathing: Can your elderly loved one get in and out of the shower or bath without needing assistance? Are they at risk for falling? Are they able to wash their face, body and hair to maintain proper hygiene? Are they able to brush their teeth and hair without requiring assistance?
- Dressing: Is your elderly loved one able to dress themselves and take of their clothing without needing assistance? Will their attire be appropriate without help?
- Continence: Are they able to hold their bladder?
- Toileting: Can they use the restroom without any assistance on or off the toilet?
- Mobility: How is their ability to move from a chair or bed to sitting up or standing? Is the individual able to walk independently? The use of assistive devices and mobility aids is allowed.
This list is not in chronological order, as everyone’s situation and abilities are different. It could be due to medical conditions, or sometimes is simply a general challenge to complete. Sometimes, these complications arise from physical problems, but it also might be due to mental challenges too. Aging is a complex and delicate process. It may be appropriate to first determine if there is another the cause of the problem, and if so, take steps necessary to remedy it.
Home Care Assistance Options
While the goal is to help seniors age in place, it should not be considered a failure if they need help in doing so. If all that is needed is a bit of help with housekeeping and grocery shopping, that situation is still considered quite an independent lifestyle. All things being relative, it could always be worse. As mentioned before, a senior’s needs will change over time, sometimes faster than we can manage, and often quicker than we are ready to admit.
Since 1981, ElderCare 4 Families, a locally-owned family organization, has provided the best possible In- home care services to Louisville and Southern Indiana. We’re dedicated to offering a variety of quality elder care services and assistance proven to preserve your loved ones’ independence while keeping them at home. If you or a loved one are in need of personal care, memory care, companionship, concierge services, housekeeping, transportation, or case management services don’t hesitate to reach out to ElderCare 4 Families.
We’ve made it our mission to provide the highest quality home care for the elderly and those in need by hiring professional caregivers that strive to lighten the days and strengthen the independent spirit of each and every one of their clients. Through their companionship and caring elder services, you will find someone who is dedicated to delivering excellent patient care with extraordinary in-home care solutions to the elderly of Louisville, KY.
Contact Elder Care
Feel free to contact us if you would like help in determining if your loved one needs activities of daily living assistance. We can help you develop a plan of care that works for everyone involved. ElderCare 4 Families is happy to help provide elder care to seniors you know wherever they call home. Complimentary assessments are offered with no obligation by Elder Care, Personalized care is offered from 1 hour up to 24//7. With over 39 years of elderly care experience in the Louisville and Southern Indiana area, trust Elder Care to care for the seniors in your life. Call us at 502-244-8446 to start receiving elder care services in Louisville.